Recipe adapted for kosher cooking from Food52.
- 1 5lb Grow and Behold Whole Duck
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 head of garlic
- 6 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the duck and pat dry. Then, mix the spices, and rub half of the spice blend on the duck (inside and out) Sprinkle half of the mixture all over the duck, inside and out. Reserve the extra spice for later use. Put the duck uncovered in back in the fridge to rest for a few hours.
- When the duck is ready to cook, heat the oven to 250. Score or prick the skin all over the duck, to help the fat render out as it cooks. Put the garlic and bay leaf inside the duck, and tuck the wings behind. Put the bird in a roasting dish breast down and into the oven. After 30-40 minutes, take the duck out and re-poke all over (gently). Do this every 30 minutes for the next two hours. When the drippings start getting too deep, siphon them out and set off to the side, leaving a shallow layer of drippings in the pan.
- After 2 hours, flip the duck and roast for another half hour.
- Then, pour the wine and the sherry into the body. Now turn the oven up to 350 and roast for another 35-45 minutes, until the duck is a deep rich brown. About halfway through you can baste the duck and pull some more of the drippings off to the side. When the duck is ready, remove from the oven and let rest for ten minutes. Season to taste and serve.