- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Meatball Mix
- 3-4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 egg
- Salt & red pepper flakes to taste
Line a baking tray with waxed paper or tinfoil.
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Gently mix with fingertips just until combined. Form golf ball sized meatballs and place on prepared tray.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon each dried thyme, oregano, basil
- Salt & red pepper flakes
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 28 oz water (use the can to measure)
- 3-4 plum tomatoes OR 1 pint grape tomatoes
Saute the onions
In a large, heavy pot, warm the oil on a medium flame. Chop the onions and garlic and add to the pot. Sauté, stirring every few minutes until translucent. Add in the dried spices (and a splash of water if pot looks dry) and stir. Cook 2-3 minutes.
Carefully pour in tomatoes and water. Stir and bring to a simmer. Chop tomatoes and add to the pot.
Drop in meatballs and bring sauce back to a simmer. Cook on a low flame for 1.5-2 hours, stirring every so often. Skim any extra fat off the top and serve.
- Freeze raw meatballs on a waxed paper lined sheet tray. Once they’re frozen, transfer to a ziplock bag. Drop frozen meatballs into simmering sauce.
- Freeze the whole dish! Pack the cooled meatballs and sauce into deli containers or ziplock bags and freeze.
- Substitute gluten-free crumbs or almond flour for the breadcrumbs.