- 4lbs Grow and Behold Lamb Short Ribs
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chili pepper (adjust according to desired spice level)
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp of oil for sautéing, or some trimmed off pieces of lamb fat
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Build the flavor base
Preheat the oven to 275°F. Heat a skillet over a medium heat and add the oil/lamb fat to the pan. Sauté the onions until they are softened but not browned, around 5 minutes. Add cumin and chili pepper and saute for another minute, until spices turn fragrant. Remove from heat.
Prepare ribs for braising
Next, cover the bottom of an oven-proof baking dish with the sautéed onions and the apricots. Nestle the rack of ribs into the onions and apricots. Pour in enough water so that the ribs are 1/3 of the way submerged–around 2 cups. Cover the pan with foil.
Braise covered, then roast uncovered
Braise the ribs in the oven until very tender, around 3 hours. Then, uncover the pan and turn the heat up to 375°F. Continue braising until the fat on the surface is browned and the onions are very brown, around 30 minutes longer. Pour off the rendered lamb fat in the pan, setting aside for another use, then serve hot or warm.