- 2lbs Boneless Lamb Bellies
- 5 tablespoons Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pink curing salt
- 3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
- 4 dried bay leaves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Test lamb bellies for saltiness by cutting of a tiny slice and frying it up. If it’s too salty, soak for 30 minutes in cold water. Pat dry, then proceed with the recipe.
Combine salts, sugar, bay leaves and pepper. Rub all over the meats and place in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Rinse, and let dry uncovered in the fridge, overnight.
To smoke, soak woodchips for 30 minutes. Start your smoker and bring temperature up to 200F. Cook lamb bellies until internal temperature reaches 160F, approximately 2 hours. Cooking for an additional hour will intensify the flavors.
Lamb Bacon can be stored, tightly wrapped, in the fridge for about a month.
To serve, slice thinly and fry until crisp.